Termination of Suspension / Online DUI Program for Out-of-State Residents

Use this Termination of Suspension Option if you continue to use your state license and wait out California DMV suspension period(s):

Apply for Termination of  California DMV’s Suspension Action based on Out of State Residency

You have to contact Mandatory Unit and order the DL 4005, 4006 and 4007 (formerly 1650) forms from DMV at Tel. (916) 657-6576 or Fax (916) 657-5942.
You also need to provide an SR-22 and affirm that you will not return to California for three years.

That’s the only way to avoid doing the alcohol program in California.What DMV says, absent having done a program in California, you in theory can’t drive here for three years, and you must file the forms or you’ll never be able to drive in California again, even on a valid out-of-state license.

The1650 Waiver includes a DL-300 for purposes of an out-of-state SR22.
The 1650 Waiver packet has explicit instructions on how to complete the affidavit and
what supporting documents are required for approval by the DMV.It can take 4-8 weeks from when the forms are received for DMV to process.
You have to request the waiver and the DMV must note the file so when the completed waiver is returned to the DMV it can be processed.
There have been problems with the waiver being processed when it wasn’t noted on the record that a waiver was sent.You  supposedly can only apply for this waiver once in a lifetime, according to DMV.

Residents from another state who receive a DUI in San Diego California may be required to complete a DUI program in their home state. Out-of-State Residents need San Diego Court approval for programs not listed as a California provider program as they not accepted by California DMV.

If you are out of state defendant who was convicted in San Diego county and unable to find a DUI program in your home state equivalent to California standards, your attorney can advise you whether or not the particular San Diego County DUI court may allow an online equivalent located on this site.


Your lawyer must obtain court approval from your San Diego county court where you received your DUI before enrolling. Many judges do not presently approve; other judges are simply unaware of this option.

These courses are for out of state residents to meet court requirements only and are not accepted by the California DMV.