San Diego drivers should familiarize themselves with new 2017 DUI and DUI-related laws which impact driving in California:
- Ignition Interlock Device in any vehicle owned or operated, mandatory beginning 1/1/18 and optional now. Driver blows in IID before starting vehicle. Vehicle will start if no alcohol.
- Take an Uber. Uber and Lyft now safer as California does not permit its drivers who are registered sex offenders, convicted of violent felonies or a DUI conviction within last 7 years. Uber and Lyft drivers must have BAC of .03% or less while driving.
- Don’t drink and drive with kids but if you do, kids younger than 2 must sit in rear-facing car seats.
- Do not touch your smart phone or cell phone for anything, even GPS. Phone must be properly mounted and completely hands-free. Can’t even swipe. No fingers on phone, period. Don’t give cops a reason to stop you and arrest you for DUI if you’ve been drinking. Pre-program GPS. Shut off. Put in trunk.
- No searching for Pokemon Go characters while driving, a new illegal distraction expanding the state law against texting while driving.
- You can smoke marijuana before you drive as long as you’re not under the influence. Marijuana is legal. Keep pot in trunk. No smoking while driving under new proposal.