San Diego California Lawyer DUI Penalties / Punishment:
In San Diego California, conviction for the offense of DUI (Driving Under the Influence) carries stiff penalties & punishment.
The San Diego California DUI penalties & punishments may be based on a non-enhanced San Diego DUI (Driving Under the Influence) conviction.
If there are any aggravating factors, the penalties are enhanced & punishments are significantly increased. Those factors include:
- excessive speeding (mandatory consecutive 60 days custody) if 30 miles or more over the speed limit on the freeway, or generally 20 miles or more over the speed limit on other (non-freeway) roads
- refusal of test
- a child in the car (under 14)
- driving on a suspended or restricted license
- high blood alcohol content (over .15)
- other instances including bad driving, attitude &/or other problems.
https://www.sandiegoduilawyer.com/new/penalty.html contains an outline of penalties & punishment for a possible San Diego DUI conviction. These include minimal DUI penalties & punishments the San Diego DUI court can impose. The maximum jail for a non-enhanced first-time San Diego is 6 months. Your ultimate penalties and punishments vary, depending on the San Diego DUI Lawyer employed to advocate on your behalf.
Punishment increases for a multiple San Diego DUI offender. The period for prior DUI offenses is 10 years. Regardless of when a prior DUI offense occurred, and what the DUI law was at the time, if the DUI was within 10 years, then it counts as a prior DUI (increasing DUI penalties).