Stay Safe This 4th of July
On July 4th, America celebrates the birth of its nation. However, the celebrations have turned the American holiday into one of the country’s top holidays for drinking. With the holiday’s association to drinking as a way of celebrating, we are unfortunately seeing increases in related impaired driving and impaired driving accidents.
4th of July celebrations involving alcohol are not against the law, however, consuming alcohol on the 4th of July and then operating a vehicle is. As the holiday quickly approaches this year, there are some things to keep in mind while celebrating.
It’s never a bad idea to be over-prepared when it comes to the 4th of July celebrations. As DUI charges and arrest numbers on the 4th of July continue to rise, year over year, taking extra precautions can only help ensure the safety of yourself and others. Here are a few of the ways you can help keep everyone safe this 4th of July:
- Designated Driver: ask a reliable friend and/or family member who is not consuming alcohol for a ride home
- Rideshare: rideshare services like Uber and Lyft will be prepared for a busy weekend and have ample staffing to provide safe rides home
- Non-Alcoholic Drinks: if you are hosting, provide a non-alcoholic beverage option to allow designated drivers, along with yourself, the opportunity to join in the celebrations without consuming alcohol
- Hotel/Airbnb: if you cannot find a sober ride home, book a hotel room or Airbnb for the night
While you might not have consumed alcohol and are driving on the 4th of July, it doesn’t mean that others on the road are not. To help avoid situations where you may be endangering yourself by being on the road during the holiday weekend, try:
- Defensive Driving: meaning you are being extremely cautious on the road, putting yourself where you assume the worst and essentially preparing for so. This allows you to be at attention at all times, able to spot any signs of danger earlier on.
If you’re in the San Diego area and crazy 4th of July celebrations with alcohol aren’t what you are looking for, here are a few events taking place that are a little more family-friendly:
- SEA WORLD SAN DIEGO 4TH OF JULY FIREWORKS
- Location: SeaWorld San Diego – 500 SeaWorld Dr, San Diego, CA 92109
- Time: Fireworks at 8:50 PM
- RED, WHITE AND BOOM!
- Location: LEGOLAND California – One Legoland Drive, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Time: 10:00AM to 9:00 PM, Fireworks at 8:30 PM
- DEL MAR FAIR’S JULY 4TH FIREWORKS CELEBRATION
- Location: 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd, Del Mar, CA 92014
- Time: 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM
- SAN MARCOS FIREWORKS EXTRAVAGANZA
- Location: Bradley Park – 465 S Rancho Santa Fe Rd, San Marcos, CA 92078
- Time: 6:00 to 9:00 PM
- SCRIPPS RANCH 4TH OF JULY RUN & RIDE
- Location: Red Cedar Dr & Aviary Dr, San Diego, CA 92131
- Time: Starts at 7:00 AM
- AN OLD-FASHIONED FOURTH OF JULY IN POWAY
- Location: Old Poway Park – 14134 Midland Road, Poway, CA 92064
- Time: 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM
4th of July DUI
The 4th of July holiday is known as one of the most fatal days on the road, causing DUI arrests and charges to increase in tandem. If you find yourself in a situation involving a DUI this 4th of July, do not hesitate to contact a DUI Specialist. In the San Diego area, Rick, Mueller, San Diego DUI Lawyers Association Specialist, has a proven track record and can help get you the best possible outcome for your situation.
Stay Safe This 4th of July